AREA-VELOCITY FLOW MONITOR SPECIFICATIONS
SCOPE: This specification covers an ultrasonic,
area-velocity flow monitor as manufactured by Greyline Instruments, Massena, New
York / Long Sault, Ontario. The instrument shall provide for indicating,
transmitting, totalizing of the flow rate through partially filled or surcharged
round pipes or rectangular, trapezoidal and egg-shaped channels.
- Flow Monitor to consist of a submersible
ultrasonic sensor, connecting cable, and remote enclosure with indicating,
transmitting and controlling electronics. System shall have no moving parts.
- Level measurement accuracy shall be ±0.25%
of Range. Velocity measurement accuracy shall be ±2% of reading.
B. SENSING ELEMENT
- Ultrasonic sensor shall be designed for
continuous submersion in liquids.
- Using the Doppler principle, the sensor
shall measure fluid velocities from 0.1 to 20 ft/sec (0.03 to 6.2 m/sec).
- Using ultrasonic echo-ranging principle,
the submerged sensor shall measure liquid level from 1" to 15 ft. (25.4 mm
to 4.57 m). Minimum level shall not be greater than 1" (25.4 mm). Level
sensing circuitry shall include a temperature sensor for automatic
- Sensor shall be constructed of PVC and
- Sensor operating temperature shall be 5°F
to 150°F (-15°C to 65°C).
C. SENSOR CONNECTING CABLE
- Provide minimum length 25 ft (7.6 m)
tri-coaxial cable with potted bond to the Sensor head. Sensor cable shall be
waterproof and electrically shielded. Exposed material shall be polyurethane
- Extended sensor cable shall be shielded
tri-coaxial to a maximum length of 500 ft (152m). Cable shall be spliced
with screw terminal connections in manufacturer’s recommended steel NEMA4
- The transmitter shall provide for field calibration to round pipes,
rectangular, trapezoidal and egg-shaped channels.
- Calibration shall be via built-in 3-key calibration system with menu
selection of parameters. Systems requiring calibration by Parameter codes, BCD
switches or external calibrators shall not be accepted.
- Calibration data shall be password protected and permanently stored through
power interruptions for a minimum of 12 months.
- Field calibration shall allow selection and automatic conversion of
measurement units, measurement span, high/low flow alarm relay and flow
proportional relay pulse rates.
- Transmitter shall permit field programmable damping to smooth output in
turbulent flow conditions, and programmable rejection time to disregard false
signals from rain, wind, floating objects and spurious echoes.
- Transmitter operating temperature shall be from -5° to 140°F (-20° to 60°C).
Transmitter shall contain a thermostat-controlled enclosure heater for
condensation protection below 30°F (-1°C).
- Transmitter shall have three isolated 4-20mA outputs rated for 1000 ohm
maximum load. Outputs shall be configured to transmit level, velocity and flow.
- Provide two relay contacts rated 5 amp SPDT programmable for flow
proportionate pulse to a remote totalizer or sampler, high-low flow, velocity
and/or level alarm, echo loss alarm.
- Provide a 4-digit LCD display scaled in user-selected engineering units and
visible without opening the Transmitter enclosure.
- Provide a 16-digit alphanumeric display for calibration menu, running
totalizer, flow reports and operation messages.
- Transmitter shall be housed in a wall-mount, watertight NEMA4X (IP66)
enclosure with hinged, clear cover. Mounting hardware shall be included.
- Transmitter Displays indicating flow rate, units of calibration, maximum
flow rate and flow totalizer shall be visible without opening cover.
- Transmitter electronics shall be surge protected on AC power input, sensor
and 4-20mA outputs.
- Transmitter power input shall be 115VAC 50/60Hz with power consumption of
8.5 watts or less.
E. OPTIONAL FEATURES FOR INSERTION AS REQUIRED
- Have separate, submerged Doppler velocity sensor, plus a non-contacting
ultrasonic level sensor mounted above the liquid. Doppler velocity sensor shall
be designed for continuous submersion in liquids and rated for fluid velocities
from 0.1 to 20 ft/sec (0.03 to 6.2 m/sec). Non-contacting ultrasonic level
sensor shall be rated for measurement range from 8" to 12 ft. (203.2 mm to 3.66
m) and shall include integral temperature compensation.
- Sensor cable shall be 50 ft. (15 m) continuous length with potted bond to
the Sensor head.
- Sensor cable shall be 100 ft. (30 m) continuous length with potted bond to
the Sensor head.
- Separate length extended sensor cable shall be shielded tri-coaxial to a
total maximum length of 500 ft (152m). Cable shall be spliced with screw
terminal connections in manufacturers recommended steel NEMA4 Junction Box.
- Sensor and connecting cable shall be rated
intrinsically safe to Class I,II,III, Div. I,II, Groups C,D,E,F,G for
installation in hazardous locations.
- Sensor shall mount with manufacturer's stainless steel mounting band for
specified pipe diameter from 6" to 72" (150 to 1800 mm).
- Have a built-in 50,000 point data logger, RS232 serial output and connecting
cables. Data logger shall support time and date-stamped logging and generate
formatted flow reports including total, average, minimum, maximum and times of
occurrence. Include Windows software for data log retrieval, graphing and
- Have a thermostat controlled enclosure heater for Transmitter operation at
temperatures below freezing.
- Have manufacturer's recommended enclosure sunscreen to permit Electronics
enclosure mounting in direct sunlight.
- Transmitter power input shall be 200-260VAC 50/60Hz with maximum power
consumption of 8.5 watts or less.
- Transmitter power input shall be 9-36VDC with minimum power consumption of
Area-Velocity Flow Monitor shall be Greyline Model
warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for one