PUMP STATION LEVEL CONTROLLER SPECIFICATIONS
SCOPE: This specification covers a non-contacting ultrasonic
Pump Station Level Controller as manufactured by Greyline
Instruments, Massena New York / Long Sault, Ontario. This
instrument shall provide for indicating, transmitting of wet well
or tank level, and control of up to six pumps or alarms.
- Pump Station Level Controller to consist of an
non-contacting ultrasonic sensor, connecting cable, and a
remote enclosure with indicating, transmitting and
- Measurement accuracy shall be ±0.25% of Range or 2 mm
(0.08"), whichever is greater, and shall be
automatically temperature compensated.
- Sensor cable length shall be as required by installation,
not to exceed 500' (152 m).
- System shall have no moving parts and shall not contact
the material being measured.
- Shall include a built-in keypad and simple menu system
for calibration, and Windows™ software for calibration
and monitoring by modems or direct RS232 connection.
B. SENSING ELEMENT
- Sensor shall be constructed of PVC.
- The sensor shall have a minimum deadband or blanking of
16" (407 mm) and a maximum range of 32 ft. (10 m),
and have an operating frequency of 46 kHz with an
ultrasonic beam angle of 8 Degrees.
- Sensor shall withstand accidental submersion to 20 psi.
- Sensor operating temperature shall be from -40°F to
150°F (-40°C to 65°C).
- Sensor shall include integral temperature sensor.
Temperature sensors requiring separate mounting and wire
runs shall not be accepted.
C. SENSOR CONNECTING CABLE
- Provide RG62AU coaxial cable 25' (7.6m) continuous length,
with waterproof, potted bond to the Sensor head.
- Extended sensor cable shall be RG62AU coaxial to a
maximum of 500' (152m). Cable shall be spliced with screw
terminal connections in manufacturer's recommended steel
NEMA4 Junction Box.
- Level and temperature signals shall be conducted on one
single coaxial cable. Separate or multiple-conductor
cables shall not be accepted.
- Sensor cable shall be installed in grounded metal
- The transmitter shall provide for field-calibration with
Windows™ software, and via
built-in 3-key calibration system with menu selection of
parameters. Systems requiring calibration by Parameter
codes, BCD switches or external calibrators shall not be
- Calibration data shall be permanently stored through
power interruptions without requirement of a back-up
- Field calibration shall allow selection and automatic
conversion of measurement units, measurement span and
- The transmitter shall provide for password-protected
calibration in Range or Level modes and user-selected
- Transmitter shall permit field programmable damping to
smooth output in turbulent level conditions, and
programmable rejection time to disregard false signals
from turbulence, waves and spurious echoes.
- Transmitter operating temperature shall be from -5° to
140°F (-20° to 60°C).
- Transmitter shall have an isolated 4-20mA output into a
1000 ohm maximum load. Calibration shall allow field
programmable offsets and fine adjustment of 4mA and 20mA.
- Transmitter shall have bi-directional RS232 serial output
for calibration by PC computer, real-time monitoring of
level and relay states, and for transfer of Relay/Pump
run time reports by direct cable connection, or by modem
over regular telephone lines. RS232 baud rates shall be
selectable from 2400 to 19200.
- Provide 6 Form 'C' dry contact control relays rated 5
ampere SPDT. Relays shall be individually programmable
for High or Low level alarms, dual set point pump
control, pump alternation, sensor temperature alarm and
echo loss alarm. Relays shall permit user-adjustable On
time delay settings to prevent pump or motor power
surges. Relays may be individually configured to hold
state, energize or de-energize in the event of an
- Provide a large, 4-digit LCD display scaled in
user-selected engineering units.
- Provide a 16-digit alphanumeric display for calibration
menu and Relay run time reports plus indication of relay
state, units of measurement, calibrated full scale,
echo-loss condition and error messages.
- Transmitter shall be housed in a wall-mount, watertight
NEMA4X (IP 66) polycarbonate enclosure with hinged, clear
cover. Mounting hardware shall be included.
- Transmitter Displays indicating level, units of
calibration and relay states, shall be visible without
- Transmitter electronics shall be surge protected on AC
power input, sensor, 4-20mA and RS232 outputs.
- Transmitter power input shall be 115VAC 50/60Hz with
power consumption of 8 watts or less.
E. PC SOFTWARE
- System shall include password-protected PC software for
Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7 and
shall permit calibration and monitoring of Pump Station
- Software shall provide for real-time display of level and
relay states, relay Run Time reports and air temperature
in the wet well or tank.
- Software shall permit user selection of display and
calibration units in user-selected engineering units.
- PC software shall provide for direct RS232 cable
connection or by dial-up connection to Pump Station Level
Controllers by modems over regular telephone lines.
F. OPTIONAL FEATURES FOR INSERTION AS REQUIRED
- Sensor, connecting cable and junction boxes shall be
rated intrinsically safe to Class I,II,III, Div. I,II,
- Have a thermostat controlled enclosure heater for
Transmitter operation at temperatures below freezing.
- Have a PVC and teflon sensor model PZ52T rated for
measurement range up to 50 ft. (15.25 m).
- Have an all-teflon sensor model PZ32TE rated
intrinsically safe when connected through an approved
safety barrier, and rated for operation from -40°F to 170°F (-40°C to 76°C).
- Have manufacturer's recommended enclosure sunscreen to
permit Transmitter mounting in direct sunlight.
- Have manufacturer's recommended Sensor sunscreen to
permit temperature-compensated Sensor mounting in direct
- Have manufacturer's recommended Flange and Bracket
assembly for enclosure mounting in panel face.
- Transmitter power input shall be
200-260VAC 50/60Hz with
maximum power consumption of 8 watts or less.
- Transmitter power input shall be 24VDC with maximum power
consumption of 7 watts or less.
- Transmitter power input shall be 12VDC (battery power)
with maximum power consumption of 7 watts or less.
Pump Station Level Controller shall be model PSL as
manufactured by Greyline Instruments Inc. and shall be warranted
against defects in materials and workmanship for one year.