LEVEL + FLOW MONITOR SPECIFICATIONS
SCOPE: This specification covers a non-contacting ultrasonic
Level/Flow Monitor as manufactured by Greyline Instruments,
Massena New York / Long Sault, Ontario. This instrument shall
provide for indicating, transmitting and control of the material
level in a vessel or proximity of a target to the instrument
sensor, and indicating, transmitting, and totalizing of the flow
rate through a flume, weir, or other primary measuring device.
- Level/Flow Monitor to consist of an non-contacting
ultrasonic sensor, connecting cable, and a remote
enclosure with indicating, transmitting and controlling
- Measurement accuracy shall be ±0.25% of Range or 2 mm
(0.08"), whichever is greater, and shall be
automatically temperature compensated.
- Sensor cable length shall be as required by installation,
not to exceed 500' (152 m).
- System shall have no moving parts and shall not contact
the material being measured.
- Shall include PC software program disk to determine open
channel flow calibration values for non-standard flumes
B. SENSING ELEMENT
- Sensor shall be constructed of PVC and Teflon.
- The sensor shall have a minimum deadband or blanking of
12" (305 mm) and a maximum range of 32 ft. (10 m),
and have an operating frequency of 42 kHz with an
ultrasonic beam angle of 8 Degrees.
- Sensor shall withstand accidental submersion to 20 psi.
- Sensor operating temperature shall be from -40°F to
150°F (-40°C to 65°C).
- Sensor shall include integral temperature sensor.
Temperature sensors requiring separate mounting and wire
runs shall not be accepted.
C. SENSOR CONNECTING CABLE
- Provide RG62AU coaxial cable 25' (7.6m) continuous
length, with waterproof, potted bond to the Sensor head.
- Extended sensor cable shall be RG62AU coaxial to a
maximum of 500' (152m). Cable shall be spliced with screw
terminal connections in manufacturer's recommended steel
NEMA4 Junction Box.
- Level and temperature signals shall be conducted on one
single coaxial cable. Separate or multiple-conductor
cables shall not be accepted.
- Sensor cable shall be installed in grounded metal
- The transmitter shall provide for field-calibration via
built-in 3-key calibration system with menu selection of
parameters. Systems requiring calibration by Parameter
codes, BCD switches or external calibrators shall not be
- Calibration data shall be permanently stored through
power interruptions without requirement of a back-up
- Field calibration shall allow selection and automatic
conversion of measurement units, measurement span and
- The transmitter shall provide for field calibration in
user-selected Range, Level or Open Channel Flow modes.
Flow mode shall allow calibration to common primary
metering devices, plus allow entry of calibration formula
for non-standard flumes, weirs or open channels.
- Transmitter shall permit field programmable damping to
smooth output in turbulent level conditions, and
programmable rejection time to disregard false signals
from agitators, waves and spurious echoes.
- Transmitter operating temperature shall be from -5° to
140°F (-20° to 60°C).
- Transmitter shall have an isolated 4-20mA output into a
1000 ohm maximum load. Output shall allow field
programmable offsets of 4mA and 20mA.
- Provide 3 control relay contacts rated 5 ampere SPDT.
Relays shall be programmable for single set point alarms,
dual set point pump control, pump alternation,
temperature alarm, flow totalizer pulse and/or echo loss
- Provide a 4-digit LCD display scaled in user-selected
- Provide a 16-digit alphanumeric display indicating units
of measurement, calibrated full scale, flow totalizer,
echo-loss condition and error messages.
- Transmitter shall be housed in a wall-mount, watertight
NEMA4X enclosure with hinged, clear cover. Mounting
hardware shall be included.
- Transmitter Displays indicating level and units of
calibration, shall be visible without opening cover.
- Transmitter electronics shall be surge protected on AC
power input, sensor and 4-20 mA output.
- Transmitter power input shall be 115VAC 50/60Hz with
power consumption of 7 watts or less.
E. OPTIONAL FEATURES FOR INSERTION AS REQUIRED
- Have 3 additional (6 total) control relays, rated 5 amp
SPDT and programmable for single set point alarms, dual
set point pump control, pump alternation, temperature
alarm, flow totalizer pulse and/or echo loss alarm.
- Sensor, connecting cable and junction boxes shall be
rated intrinsically safe to Class I,II,III, Div. I,II,
- Have a thermostat controlled enclosure heater for
Transmitter operation at temperatures below freezing.
- Have an all-Teflon sensor Model PZ32TE rated
intrinsically safe when connected through an approved
safety barrier, and rated for operation from -40°F to 170°F (-40°C to 76°C).
- Have a PVC and Teflon sensor Model PZ52T rated for
measurement range on liquids up to 50 ft. (15.6 m).
- Have a Teflon-faced flange mount sensor
model PZ34TxF rated for 32 ft (10 m) measurement range. Specify flange size
of 4”, 6” or 8”.
- Have manufacturer's recommended enclosure sunscreen to
permit Transmitter mounting in direct sunlight.
- Have manufacturer's recommended Sensor sunscreen to
permit temperature-compensated Sensor mounting in direct
- Have manufacturer's recommended Panel Mount Flange
assembly for enclosure installation.
- Have a built-in 50,000 point data
logger with Windows™
software for data retrieval, graphing and export. Data
Logger shall include RS232 output and serial cable for
direct PC connection, or dial-up connection through
- Transmitter power input shall be
200-260VAC 50/60Hz with
maximum power consumption of 7 watts or less.
- Transmitter power input shall be 24VDC with maximum power
consumption of 6 watts or less.
- Transmitter power input shall be 12VDC (battery power)
with maximum power consumption of 6 watts or less.
Level/Flow Monitor shall be Model SLT32 as manufactured by
Greyline Instruments Inc. and shall be warranted against defects
in materials and workmanship for one year.